Natural gas is used in every home for a variety of applications and installed by your Okc plumbers or Plumbers Okc. Be it heating, cooking or any other application, multiple gas connections are present in the homes. They are fed from the main gas pipeline (usually present outside the houses for safety purposes).
Although rare, gas leak incidences do happen and they can be very hazardous. Gas leaks can be life threatening, if not dealt in time / properly. A gas leak is something that must only be handled by an expert. Therefore, in any such case, a pro should be contacted immediately. Here are few tips to handle a gas leak emergency as a prelude to gas main repairs.
1. Shut off the main gas valve to cut off the connection to all the gas pipelines.
2. Look for the point of the leak in the pipeline. There are various methods to detect and isolate the points of leak. Here are a few :-
> Look for the black staining of the pipe. Serious gas leaks usually leave dark stains at the point of leak, although when the pipe is buried this method won’t work.
> Smell for the telltale odor of natural gas. The first and main sign of a gas leak is the strong smell of natural gas. So if you ever smell something like natural gas, never ignore it.
> Soap bubble test is very easy,safe and accurate test to pin point the area of the leak. Put the liquid soap on the suspected point of leak. If the bubbles appear in the area, you have a gas leak problem at hand, although when the pipe is buried this method won’t work.
3. After conformation of the leak, the tech should be asked to repair the leak. The leak can be repaired by a number of methods.
4. The gas mains are approached by digging the area at the point of the leak. Professionals use Back hoes to dig the area. If pipes are not deep enough, hand digging can also be resorted to. One advantage of digging by hand for gas leak repair is that it is the safest way to prevent the damage to the rest of gas line poly pipes.
5. The cracks or breaks are sealed and repaired with the help of pipe sleeves. Synthetic pipes made of poly materials, melding the end connections or compression end connections are used to repair gas mains. 1 ½” poly pipe is most commonly used method for gas main repairs.
6. After repairing the leak, it is important to make sure that every leak has been addressed / corrected and there is no chance of the damage to occur again. For this Leak test after the repair is done.
7. If there is still a suspicion of leak after the repair, it is advisable to replace the complete pipe line or the section recommended by a professional.
ALWAYS REMEMBER! Gas mains leaks are not something to be taken casually. They must never be attempted to repair on your own as it can lead to severe consequences (like fire accidents and even explosion). Please call in a professional to handle in any case there is a gas leak situation.